Scientific Me!

Science… where do I start? My earliest memories with science are exploring the outdoors on my own. I have always been curious of creatures, forests, and the weather. Second grade is my first memory of science in school. I remember learning about the solar system. It fascinated me. I like to think this is where my passion for science developed. I remember making planets out of clay; I put my heart in sole into this project. I loved art already so being able to tie in my love for art helped me develop a love for science. I was full of questions about science then, as well as now. Through elementary school I remember doing few science experiments/ lessons such as the life of a butterfly, electricity, and the solar system. It wasn’t until middle school when I realized science would be my favorite subject in school. Science never came easy for me, I had to work at it, but I have always loved it because there is so much to learn, so many questions to ask, and it is always changing. 
Seventh grade biology is when I realized I wasn’t so bad at science. I have always struggled in all areas of school, but science just made sense. I learned about things I never knew before, like cells! Who knew learning the parts of a cell could be so fun? (It did help that I had an awesome science teacher). From there my love for science (especially biology) developed. I noticed I did not care for Earth science or chemical science the way I enjoyed biology. I even took biology courses through college. These were much more challenging, but I always found myself wanting to learn more. Today, as I work in a middle school I still find myself excited to go to science class with my student. Although the topics remain the same each year, I always learn something I haven’t learned before. 
I have never given stereotypes of scientists much consideration before. As I think about it, I have always learned about male scientists in laboratories throughout my science career in school. Newton, Einstein, Darwin, Watson, and Crick are just a few who I remember learning about. Each one I envisioned an older male, with white hair, who may be a bit crazy working on science in their lab. We did not learn about many women, colored, or young scientists in school. I know they exist, but they do not receive much credit in textbooks for science. This is something I will take into consideration in the future when I teach science to my class. 
Science to me is a changing topic with very much potential for everyone. Every bit of research can go a long way. It is something that is essential to learning and teaching because the students of today are the future. They have the power to change and grow on technology and make advancements for our planet.  Science may not be everyone’s favorite topic, but I hope all of my students find at least one topic in science that interests them and they want to learn more about. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 5Es

Reflecting on Fieldwork Experience

What's A Fossil?