What's A Fossil?

What is a fossil?
Did you know there are 7 types of fossils?

It is something I have never given much thought about. I do not recall learning about fossils in school. I remember touching on the topic when learning about dinosaurs, but was never introduced again during my education. It was nice to learn more about where they come from, the different types of fossils, and where they can be found. I enjoyed presenting what I have learned about fossils to my class. At first my group and I sat there pondering what we could teach about a fossil, and what activity we could do with the class. The more we researched, the more we realized we aren't the first people to ever teach a lesson on fossils! There were many beneficial, educational, and visual sites to help us teach about fossils. This experience helped Nicole, Jamie, and I grow as teachers. We will be faced with challenging topics we aren't educated enough on when we become teachers, but with the internet we have such a powerful tool to help us succeed in teaching a lesson. We used new technology sites I have never heard of before in our lesson, such as Padlet. We also used Quizziz and Quizlet to review and assess our students' knowledge. We also completed a hands-on activity of making and practicing the different types of fossils. If time permits, in the a real class it would be fun to use the textbook's suggestion of making real fossils, but with the limited time we had, we used play dough. Overall, it was stressful to plan a lesson on a topic I did not know anything about, but with my team and the internet we were able to pull off a successful lesson. This helped me prepare for the future when I am told I have to teach a lesson I am not comfortable teaching. With the use of the internet, I feel I could be ready to teach any lesson thrown my way. 



Here is our PowerPoint on fossils. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 5Es

Reflecting on Fieldwork Experience